Excelling in any sport requires mastering the fundamentals, and the same is true of interpersonal communication skills. While the context of communication situations varies, there are certain fundamental skills that all effective communicators master, including the ability to defuse arguments, overcome doubts, and reach agreement.
Based on the premise that the best communicators take 100 percent responsibility for understanding what others are saying and 100 percent responsibility for making themselves understood, this online course defines the communication techniques called for in different situations. Using a combination of clear explanations and scenarios based on actual workplace situations, the course teaches the practical skills that are essential for becoming an effective communicator and achieving professional success.
Managers, Supervisors, Employees & HR Professionals
TIME TO COMPLETE
To teach individuals the fundamental skills of interpersonal communication that are essential for personal and professional success.
After completing this course, the learner will be able to:
- identify the basic principles of effective interpersonal communication that are essential for personal and professional success;
- avoid and defuse arguments by using appropriate communication skills;
- employ techniques for softening one's demeanor in an effort to become a more effective communicator;
- recognize and apply proactive modes of communication, including the Explanation Model, the Agreement Model, and the Closure Model; and
- recognize and apply reactive modes of communication, including the Query Model, the Reservation/Doubt Model, and the Question/Confusion/Conflict Model.
- Why Interpersonal Communication Skills Matter
- The Fundamentals of Interpersonal Communication
- Avoiding and Defusing Arguments
- Adopting SOFTENING Techniques
- Using Proactive Modes of Communication
- Using Reactive Modes of Communication
HR CERTIFICATION INSTITUTE
This Activity has been approved for 2.0 HR (General) recertification credit hours toward aPHR™, aPHRi™, PHR®, PHRca®, SPHR®, GPHR®, PHRi™ and SPHRi™ recertification through HR Certification Institute® (HRCI®). The use of this official seal confirms that this Activity has met HR Certification Institute's® (HRCI®) criteria for recertification credit pre-approval.
SOCIETY FOR HUMAN RESOURCE MANAGEMENT
This Activity has been approved for 2.0 PDCs toward SHRM-CP® or SHRM-SCP® recertification. The Human Equation is recognized by SHRM to offer Professional Development Credits (PDCs) for SHRM-CP® or SHRM-SCP® recertification activities.